The Nature of Church Membership
The biblical picture of following Jesus is both personal and corporate in nature. Being united to Christ includes being part of the family of God.
“So, then, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with the saints, and members of God’s household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone.” (Eph. 2:19-20)
Connection to the family of God occurs through connection to a local expression of His Church. Church membership, then, is not like membership in a social club or other organization; it is being a member of a family with the privileges, responsibilities, and commitments that accompany belonging to a family.
We encourage everyone who belongs to Christ and calls Hope their church home to pursue church membership.
The Process of Joining Hope’s Church Family:
1.) Discovering Hope Class
The process begins with attending our Discovering Hope Class. This class is typically offered quarterly on a Friday night & Saturday morning. In the class we cover our history and vision, our philosophy of ministry, and what we believe the Bible teaches. The class is required for membership, but it is also helpful for anyone who simply wants to know more about Hope.
2.) Complete Membership Application
After the Discovering Hope Class, attendees will receive a membership application to fill out online covering basic information and spiritual background.
3.) New Member Interview
After we receive your Membership Application, we’ll schedule a new member interview with a pastor or elder and a member of the Women’s Shepherding Team if desired. This meeting is an opportunity for us to hear your story, answer any questions you might have had after the Discovering Hope Class, and help you discern whether you’re ready to take the membership vows.
4.) Take the Membership Vows
The final step is to join the church one Sunday morning by taking the membership vows during the worship service. Anyone who has not previously been baptized in a Christian church will also be baptized as a part of their joining. We will coordinate the joining date with you after your new member interview.
The Membership Vows which are explained in depth during the Discovering Hope Class are:
- Do you believe in the one true God as revealed in the Bible, who exists eternally in three persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and who has created you in his image, with inherent dignity, purpose and worth?
- Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope save in His sovereign mercy?
- Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
- Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes the followers of Christ?
- Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and work to the best of your ability?
- Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline of the Church, and promise to study its purity and peace?
If you have any questions about membership, please contact the church office.